A Caring, Inclusive School Community
- We believe that every student matters and offer a genuinely supportive environment where young people can learn and thrive, and where well-being is of key importance.
- We are an inclusive, non-denominational, multi-belief school, understanding and respecting the diverse beliefs and cultures of our whole school community equally.
- Our dedicated staff provides student-centred pastoral and academic support in and out of the classroom and are always ready to help.
- We work in partnership with parents and guardians, you are always welcome to discuss your child’s progress with us.
- Coláiste Fionnchua promotes kindness, empathy and a positive, fair teaching and learning environment. We believe in integrity, reliability, trust, co-operation and respect for others in all aspects of our work.
- The planned curriculum at Coláiste Fionnchua includes the new Junior Cycle, Transition Year and the Leaving Certificate programmes.
- Coláiste Fionnchua offers a wide range of subjects at ordinary and higher levels, including options to study modern languages, business, sciences, practical subjects, technology and arts alongside the entire range of core studies.
- We promote outstanding teacher quality, and a holistic education that values individual achievement in all forms.
- We promote progression and achievement and support students to achieve their full potential.
Experienced, Talented Staff
- Our teaching staff is experienced, highly qualified and dedicated to ensuring that you succeed at all aspects of school life. You will find that many of them are experts in their specialist areas, and several are State Exams Commission subject examiners.
- Our teachers are Leaders in Learning, and are experts in their subjects specialisms, their participation in extra-curricular opportunities and their shared role in Pastoral Care.
- Our teachers embrace modern teaching methods, and are professionally engaged in updating their teaching and learning skills.
- Our teachers promote achievement and support students to reach their full potential as part of a shared learning community.
On completion of their studies at Coláiste Fionnchua, students are able to choose many different directions to pursue their ambitions and talents. Coláiste Fionnchua supports progression in many ways including:
- Higher Education at University and Institutes of Technology in Ireland and overseas.
- Further Education programmes at FET Colleges.
- Work-based learning programmes including Traineeship and Apprenticeship qualifications.
- Our Guidance counsellor at Coláiste Fionnchua works with each individual student to support them in the achievement of their own personal goals.
Meeting Needs of All Students
- Coláiste Fionnchua’s curriculum embraces all subject types and offers one of the widest curriculum choices in the region.
- We encourage all students to reach their highest standard possible and offer a tailored curriculum with subjects taught at different levels.
- Students’ progress in academic subjects is enhanced by a genuine understanding of applied study, and subjects offer opportunities to learn useful practical skills and technical experience.
- Numeracy, Literacy and the use of ICT are embedded in our teaching and learning.
- Our curriculum is focused on developing the wider key skills of managing self, staying well, communicating, being creative, working with others and managing information and thinking.
Assessment and Results
- Our students are prepared for the new Junior Cycle and Leaving Certificate qualifications through a combination of coursework projects, practical and written exams.
- We regularly review progress with our students, using formative assessment techniques that encourage feedback, and guide improvements in teaching and learning.
- Many subjects offer students the opportunity to maximise their potential through coursework projects in their programme.
- We understand the demands of preparing for exams and offer many supports to our students and their parents/guardians.
- Whilst we encourage Coláiste Fionnchua students to achieve excellent results in state exams, we know that each student has their own personal goals and challenges and that success is measured in many ways.
- Our students leave Coláiste Fionnchua equipped with qualifications, and also with the wider skills and attributes that will support them to through further study and the rest of the lives.
Exciting Range of Extra-curricular Activities
School is about more than the classroom activity – our students enjoy the opportunity to pursue a wide range of extra-curricular groups and events. Activities include:
– Green Schools
– DCMUN – Model United Nations
– Foreign Tours
– FAME – annual talent show
– Christmas Shoebox Appeal
– International Student Exchange
– Field Trips
– Charity work
– Student Enterprise
– Young Social Innovators
– Student Council
– Student Leaders
– German Club
– Creative Crew
– Rowing Club
– Chess Club
– Cookery Competitions
– A wide range of Sports Clubs
There is of course no tuition fee, but we also know that other expenses associated with school can mount up and we work hard to make sure that costs are kept as affordable as possible. To help support the cost of going to school we provide:
– A book-rental scheme
– Free Breakfast Club and School Meals Programme
– Free Homework Club
– Low cost assisted study programme after school